Learning Abroad Center Scholarship for Non U of M Students
- Open to Non University of Minnesota Students participating on Learning Abroad Center Programs
- Open to U of M coordinate campus students on a LAC open enrollment program
- Must be enrolled as degree-seeking undergraduate student at your home institution
- Must have already applied to a U of M study abroad program
- Must have already been issued a U of M ID number
Learning Abroad Center Scholarship Policies
- Academic or Calendar year are considered one term
- Students can apply for multiple awards per year if they participate on multiple Learning Abroad Center programs
- Graduating Seniors: you must set your graduation date for the term in which your study abroad program ends (ie. studying abroad Summer 2010, graduate Summer 2010). You must work with your academic advising office to set your graduation date. Students who graduate prior to the start of their study abroad program are not eligible.
You must print and submit the completed form along with your essay
Scholarships are awarded based on basic eligibility criteria and an essay. Complete a Study Abroad Scholarship Application form, and attach the essay.
Essay specifics: (scholarships that don't adhere to formatting and page requirements will not be accepted)
- One-inch margins
- 12 pt. font.
- Include one-line header in the top-right corner with the following information: Name and student ID
Essays will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Explanation of the impact of study abroad on personal goals
- Explanation of the impact of study abroad on academic goals
- Explanation of the impact of study abroad on long term goals
- Justification of selected study abroad program in a convincing manner
- Preparation for the experience
- Well written, both in terms of style and grammar
|Term of Study||Year||Deadline Date|
|2013||October 17, 2012|
|May & Summer Session||2013||March 6, 2013|
|April 17, 2013|
Applications must be received in the Learning Abroad Center office by 4:00 pm on the deadline date.
How to submit your application
- Be sure to check the scholarship deadlines for the term you are applying
- Applications must be received by the Learning Abroad Center before 4:00 pm on the application deadline date
- We do not accept applications via fax or email
- There are no exceptions for late applications
- Submit the scholarship application and essay to the Learning Abroad Center by mailing your application & essay to the following address:
University of Minnesota—Twin Cities
230 Heller Hall
271 19th Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Notification of Awards
All scholarship applicants are notified of scholarship decisions by email to the student's U of M account approximately six weeks after the application deadline. Alternate awards may become available due to a recipient declining the award, a recipient who becomes ineligible for the award, etc. Those recipients will be notified by email.
University-wide Study Abroad Scholarship money is distributed based on the following formula:
|Academic Year /Calendar Year||1||$2,000|
|Global Seminars (Winter or May Session)||1||$1,000|
The number and amount of awards may vary depending on the pool of applicants and the funding available. Additional programs may become eligible for scholarships after the posting of this information.