What Is Global Identity?
Global Identity: Connecting Your International Experience with Your Future is an optional, 1-credit, online course that helps you process your international experience and apply what you've learned upon your return. The course helps you reflect on multiple layers of cross-cultural experience and market your time abroad to future careers.
Global Identity Helps You
- Articulate the value of your experience to future employers, graduate or professional schools and scholarship committees.
- Demonstrate your intercultural development and skills that can be used as part of a professional portfolio in a job search or application for graduate/professional school by preparing key essays/documents.
- Understand intercultural theories and interactions with cultural difference, as well as language-learning and intercultural communication strategies. These skills help you to start to make connections between your study abroad experience and the broader range of skills connected with this experience, to become a competitive member of a global workforce.
- All course assignments build upon one another—use what you learned from previous assignments to complete subsequent assignments.
- You get out of the course what you put into it—the more thoughtful you are about the assignments, the more you are able to use what you have written later in your portfolio. Challenge yourself by digging more deeply into your responses. Coursework includes short readings from various texts (posted online), reflection about your experience abroad, and five journal/reflection assignments submitted via email. The first assignment is due one week before departure.
- We are offering a new Summer 2014 option for students participating in programs that last 4 weeks or more.
- The course fee for Summer 2014 will be $150 if you register by the May 15, 2014 priority deadline. The course fee for Fall 2014 will be $200 if you register by the June 13, 2014 priority deadline. Late registration will be considered on a case by case basis with a course fee of $463.85 (one-credit undergraduate tuition).
- Non-resident students pay the same rate as residents.
- To drop the course, you must email your request to Ryan McCarthy.
- In accordance with the Learning Abroad Center's Cancellation and Refund Policy, if you drop the course on or after the official program start date, there will be no refunds for this course. Prior to the program start date, you will receive a full refund upon receipt of your cancellation email request.
- For Semester-long programs, you will have two weeks from your official program start date to request that the Global Identity course be dropped to avoid a "W" on your University of Minnesota transcript. If you submit your request after the first two weeks, the course will appear as a "W" on your transcript. If you submit your request after the final eight-week drop period, you will not be allowed to withdraw, and you will receive the grade that you have earned for the course (A-F).
- For Summer programs refer to the following table:
|Length of Program
||Last Day to Drop with no W
||Last Day to Withdraw with a W
||No Withdrawls Permitted
- Grading is on an A-F basis. You must complete all assignments in order to receive a passing grade for the course.
- This course is only available under the A-F grade base. If you register for it, you must select A-F as your grade base. If you select S/N, the Learning Abroad Center will change your grade base to A-F.
- For more information check the FAQ
See what other students are saying about the Global Identity course.
Contact Ryan McCarthy for questions about the course.